20 September 2013

Broken Herringbone QAL Complete!

Yay! Tonight I can give this quilt to its new mom for her soon-to-be baby.

I hope she doesn't hate dogs...

Pattern: Broken Herringbone in what I'm calling the diamond layout
Fabric: mostly Puppy Park by Bella Blvd for Riley Blake Designs with white for the blocks and the ever present Kona Coal for sashing. The back is some adorable polka dots from Moda (one of the Bungle Jungle ones) that I am definitely going to get more of. For the binding I did a mix of navy blue solid and stripes because 1) I didn't have enough of the stripes and 2) I thought pure navy would be too dark.
Quilting: relatively large stippling with grey variegated thread on top and steel gray for the bobbin
Finished Size: about 38"x50"

I guess it's more like rambling squiggles than true stippling, meh

I don't have a ton to say about this quilt other than I'm surprisingly pleased with it in a number of ways. Surprised that I finished it in time. Surprised how much I like the final layout. Surprised how cute the two-color binding turned out. Surprised how even though a lot of my blocks don't line up it still looks okay. Let's just hope my coworker will be equally as pleasantly surprised as me!

I completely LOVE these polka dots!

Check out the flickr group to see how everyone else is doing on the QAL and, of course, go on over to Finish it Friday at crazymomquilts while you're at it ^_^

UPDATE: She liked it! Also, she has a dog so puppies were appropriate, lucky!

7 comments:

  1. Nice! I really like the colors you used. I started a new scrappy quilt today (rather than working on any of my UFOs) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun - those blocks are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She'll love it! Lots of color and great texture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fascinating! I love the dark sashing, it's different than what you normally see. Nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dark, skinny sashing you used. Great colour scheme, too! Very sweet quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Libby - Can you send me your email address with shipping address so I can send your prize to you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete